Tuesday 25 March 2014

To Spain - (no point in getting old if you don't get daft, but this was a bit over the top)

 
 
Seeing as some of us were off to Antarctica, I decided to go South a bit meself, to the Boletas Birdwatching Centre near to Huesca, and in the foothills of the Pyrenees. This is a pic of a Pyrenee from a previous visit back in May 2004 with Neil Frampton, when we stayed on the French side - see



This time I went KLM via Amsterdam to Barcelona and then a 3 hour drive. The problem was the departure board at Amsterdam showed a 10.05 flight to Barca at gate B16, with a strange flight number. I assumed (BIG MISTAKE) it was one of those flights with more than one number and settled down by the gate to wait. Then I became aware of my name over the PA, went to the desk to be told I was on the KLM flight from gate D87.Rush rush rush, got there a couple minutes late darn it. My excuse is that the KLM flight at 10.05 wasn't on the board, just the Vueling one I waited for. Should have checked at the desk when I got to the gate- dolt. No worries I was transferred to a later flight at no cost and arrived 2 hours later than planned - i.e after dark - at Boletas -
http://www.birdingspain.com/welcome.htm

Next morning took a quick walk down the lane before breakfast, and this Red Kite came drifting over, but only one, unlike last Sunday at St Margaret's - see http://mrphil-kearsneybirder.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/kite-runners.html, and http://stmargaretsphotodiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/she-love-me-she-loves-me-not.html


A look back at the Guest House - the trees in the garden are a useful landmark

 
This was on the wall of that ruin on the right, Josele the owner of Boletas called it an Egyptian Grasshopper - not bad at 3+ inches long and looking like a small grey warbler as it flew into a bush 

 
In the distance, the snow in the mountains, and some Spotless Starlings on the electricity building and a blurred raptor in the distance (and no, I didn't see it while taking the photo) 

 
After breakfast a walk out behind the village, into the low hills, where there was lots of Almond Blossom, with a gorgeous scent - more of this later


I got quite excited by this butterfly until I realised it was a Wall Brown, but still a beautiful creature

 
A look back at the village of Loporzano, the church tower has seen better days (like me), and is home to a pair of White Storks (unlike me)

 
Looking the other way into the wilds, with more Almond Blossom

 
and a close-up of the Castel Montearagon, home to Black Wheatear apparently

 
after a while, as it warmed up, this Griffon Vulture appeared overhead 
 

 
The next post will show what came after this - all good stuff


No comments:

Post a Comment